Empire Atlanta 2016 {The Competition}

Last time I posted I wrote about the first few days of my mock trial competition...now, I will try to explain the days of competition.

Our competition started bright and early Saturday morning...I wish I had a picture to show you or even a way to describe how hectic our hotel room was Saturday and Sunday morning. Let's just say that it was crazy with 3 of us running around in a nervous frenzy trying to get ready as fast as possible...because of course we waited till the last possible moment to get up...that way we could sleep as long as possible. =)

As I mentioned before, the first round was the challenge round where we went against a team from Alabama. We were able to start out this round by not only praying as a team but praying with the other team. That was an amazing experience and a great way to start out the competition. Our team played the prosecution in this round, which meant that I was an opener. I ABOUSLTY loved being able to open for the prosecution during Empire!! It was so much fun! The first round sometimes ends up being the toughest because your still getting into competition mode...we definitely learned a lot from this round. 

The second round that day was against a team from Texas. We played the defense in this round, that meant I played a witness...a biased witness to be exact. =) This round was challenging but fun! 

My team, most of our NYC Empire team, and the judge from that round. I am SO thankful that most of our NYC team got to come down and watch!! You guys are awesome! =)

That evening we debriefed in the food court around boxes of pizza and then headed to bed...

Going over the first two rounds as a team.

More debriefing...and pizza! =)

 Sunday morning started out even earlier...we had to be ready to leave on the bus for the courthouse at 7:50.
Waiting for the bus...
Since we were on one of the first buses we got to the courthouse plenty early to get set up...We faced an all girls team this round. It was a fun round! We played defense in this round as well, which meant once again that I was a witness. That means I get to be crossed...which in my opinion is the best part of being a witness!! =)

Some of our team getting ready for round three. +Julia Bainbridge played a hippie..she was even told by an Empire worker (who the character was named after) that she was the BEST hippie he had ever seen! She did amazing!!
So, the final round of the day is where we saw God work the most...at least that's where I saw him work the most. You see, for the first 3 rounds ALOT of things happened that were completely out of our control. We had competed to the best of our abilities in every round but the results didn't always show that.

We felt pretty defeated by the final round and CRAZY nervous. As the round began God showered us with his strength and confidence. It was truly only because of Him that we were able to compete in that round so well. 

At the end of the round, during the jury feedback, one of the jury members pointed to an attorney at our team and told him that if he ever started his own law firm he'd come out of retirement. It was like God was smiling down on our entire team.
My team (and a CCH alumni) after the closing ceromy!

That night during the closing cermony we never stood on the stage as a team like we had in years past. I can't describe how hard it was to watch team after team, some of them who we had faced, walk to the stage. 

In the end though, we weren't there to stand on the stage. Yes, in years past we have stood on that stage. A few of us know how it feels to hear your team's named annouced over the loudspeaker. But every single year, no matter we win or lose, we go to glorify God, to have fun, and to do our best. This year like every year before, we did all three to the best of our abilities. 

The only thing that changed was how God chose to reward us...instead of giving us a tangible reward he aksed us to focus on the intangible. 

Our closer relationships with God.
How we grew stronger as a team.
The growth we saw in each other...how we watched each other accomplish things that we thought were impossible. 
The fun and memories we made with some of the most amazing people ever.

These things will never pass away. 
These things will make us stronger for next season, next week, and next year.
These things matter so much more than any trophy or tangible object.

*Again, thank you to anybody who contrubuted pictures to this post!*

Comments

Popular Posts