My Bookshelf {Past and Present}

photo credit: google photos
So, when I did my little survey thing and asked for your suggestions for blog posts a number of you wanted to read about books so here's a little post about what I have been reading. Please feel free to share what you have been reading as well. I am always on the lookout for new book suggestions! =)

{Past}

The Help by Kathryn Sockett --This book was amazing! It is probably one of my all time favorites. I will try not to ruin the story for those who have not read it yet so I'll just say the story is amazing. It's about maids during the Reconstruction era and how shows so vividly how they were treated by their employers. It is a beautiful and heart wrenching book.

The Giver by Lois Lowery -- I saw the movie that was based on this book when it first came out on dvd a few years ago and it was amazing but the book is even better (I know surprise, surprise). It tells the story of a young man living in a seemingly perfect world until one day he is selected to receive all the memories of humanity and that "perfect world" is shattered to bits. It is a fast read but also one that makes you think.

Gathering Blue also by Lois Lowery -- This is the second book in the Giver series. It is also good. I wouldn't put it on the same level as the first book or the rest of the book in the sires but it's still pretty amazing. It tells the story of a young girl and her friends growing up in a very broken world and her search for the color blue. It's a very fascinating story.

Messenger also by Lois Lowery -- Yeah, I am pretty stuck on the Giver series currently. This is the 3rd novel in the sires and begins to tie characters from the first two books together. The story follows a journey of sacrifice.

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis -- I read this book for my theology class this semester and although I didn't agree with every point of theology Lewis raised, overall it was an excellent book. In the books Lewis writes about, what he believes to be, the major points of the christian faith.

{Present}

Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper -- I am not reading this book as consitently as I should be but it's still on my bedside table so it still counts.

Jesus Among Other Gods by Ravi Zacherias -- This is also a book I am reading for my theology class. This book is SO SO GOOD. Zacherias set's out to prove what makes the christian faith different from other religions and so far he has done an amazing job. Sometimes it is a bit tough to follow his arguments but overall this book has been great!

Son by Lois Lowery -- The last book in the Giver series...so far it is AMAZING.

{Future}

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin -- This one is sitting on my bedside table but I haven't started it yet. Maybe after I finish Son

What are your favorite books? What is your favorite genre of books? What have you been reading? Do you have any book suggestions? PLEASE comment!! I would love to hear from you! =)

*This post is part of my Reader's Choice series...if you have a suggestion for a post or want to chime in on what unfinished post you would like to read just go to this post HERE and leave me a comment.*

Comments

Popular Posts