Unexpected Lessons from Theology {Reader's Choice}

Last semester my Theology class studied the Old Testament. We went through the Old Testament reading portions of scripture, commentary, and discussing what we found.

I found that my favorite books to work through were the Psalms, Job, and Lamentations.

I loved these books because of the people's honest cries to God.
I mean, I guess I have always known this but looking at these books reminded me in a new way.

You see, the speakers in Job, Lamentations, and even the Psalms, held nothing back as the cried out to God. They weren't afraid to show their true colors to their maker.

And in all honesty, why should they be? Why should we be? Why should be scared to show our creator how we truly feel?

He's our creator, our maker, and therefore he knows our feelings, our thoughts, our everything.

Yet so often we want to run and hide. When we begin to struggle we want to climb in a hole. We refuse to speak to God because he don't want him to know how we feel.

We are ashamed of our doubt. We are ashamed to come before him.

What I found in Job, Lamentations, and the Psalms is that these men weren't.

Why? They trusted their creator to hold them, to love them, to still want them in spite of their messiness.

And we see that God did.

We watch Job pour out his heart to God...his doubts...his everything and God comes down and speaks with him. He doesn't push him out but draws him in.

We watch in the Psalms as David honestly cries out to God, honestly tells God is heart and once again God doesn't push him out but draws him in.

God wants to hear our hearts.
We wants to draw us closer to himself.

He is waiting.

*This post is part of my Reader's Choice sires...if you have a suggestion for a post or want to chime in on what unfinished post you would like to read just go to this post HERE and leave me a comment.*

Comments

Popular Posts