Why I'm Glad I Gave Two Years of My Life To Forensics


I am sure anybody who has read my blog for any amount of time knows that for my last two years of highschool I competed on a competitive highschool Mock Trial team.

It was a huge part of my life for those two years. 

I competed in 4 different competitions. Two Invitationals located in Atlanta, GA and two Regional Competitions during our state academic season. 

At the first invitational we took home 3rd place. At our first Regional we placed second to the contending state champs. At our second invitational we competed well but did not place. At my final competition, Regionals 2017, we paced third in our Region.

I never made it to State Competion. After my first season, I never "won." Our "A team" won. They won Nationals. But my team we never actually won after my first competition. 

Many people would question whether giving two years of my life to this "sport" was worth it. In the world's eyes I have nothing to show for it except for an almost 2 year old trophy.

I want to show you the other side of the coin though. I want to show you why giving two years of my life to forensics was worth it. 

Number one forensics taught me many valuable skills. Skills that will be valuable through college
and into the workforce. 

Mock Trial taught me how to think on my feet and not sure uncertainty. In the heat of them moment, when the whole courtroom is looking at you to respond to an objection you have to think fast and remain confidence. No matter how you are feeling inside during a round, you can not show that on the outside. You have to learn how to think on your feet, do it quick, and act 100% confident. This is a skill that is useful in the classroom when giving speeches, when on the workforce being interviewed, and in many other ways.

Mock Trial also taught me how to "speak well" and to hold a conversation with almost anybody. Ok, this is going to sound super odd but please just hear me out... In Mock Trial you are obviously taught how to speak confidently and look people in the eyes. This is obviously a skill that is useful in the rest of life. Here's the odd part though...how Mock Trial teaches you how to hold a conversation with anyone. In Mock Trial you are taught how to ask questions, more specifically you are taught how to conduct a direct examination. Now, a direct examination is a series of open ended questions designed to let the witness tell their story. Now, think about this what are trying to do when you are talking to a random person? Aren't you just trying to get them to tell their story? As odd as it sounds (and yes you can call me a nerd if you want to...) it's a lot like doing a direct exam. ;) 

But even those skills are great, they are not what I am most thankful for about my two years of Mock Trial.

No, what I am most thankful for is how Mock Trial taught me that the strong people are not often the people who always win but the people who lose and get right back up. 

If your a christian everything you do, should be for the glory of God-including forensics. Everything, even forensics, is part of your testimony. And you better believe that there are people out there watching you. When you win and praise God, that's great but c'mon that's what everyone does. The world doesn't see anything new when we do well and praise God. What they see as odd is when we lose and turn around and praise God. And then get back up again with a smile on our face and try again. 

That's something that isn't just for Mock Trial. There are always going to be people watching us. Wondering about the hope that is within us. When we get knocked down they except us to curse, cry and give up. When we do the opposite. When we praise God, get up, and try again...they sit back and wonder. Our testimony can be so much greater when we honor God when things don't make sense. 

Mock Trial also taught me that what matters at the end of day is not whether or not your standing on a stage holding a plastic trophy but whether or not you acted with integrity. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter if you walked away with the largest trophy in the nation if you didn't treat your opponent well.

All people deserve respect and civility. We don't have to pat everyone on the back and 
tell them they are correct because there are a lot of lost people in the world wandering in the wrong direction. But as Christians we must treat everyone with civility and respect. People except us to do this when people are nice to us. They except us to do this when we're the ones who win the round. But once again our testimony screams louder when we do it when it makes no sense. When we congratulate the people who just whopped us. When we treat the people who have mocked us and talked behind our backs with civility and friendliness. When we do this, my friends, the world will wonder. 

So...all in all that's why I gave two years of my life to this crazy sport called Mock Trial. 

Yeah, I probably will never again have use for the many rules of evidence I have stored away in the back of my mind and I may never again do another closing argument but the lessons I learned are invaluable. 

I wouldn't trade them for the world. 

Comments

Popular Posts